When you begin looking for the right floor for a specific room or your entire home you may be surprised by the wide array of choices. First, types of flooring, they are solid hardwood and plastic laminate. Second, there are numerous brands of hardwood and laminate flooring and then various styles offered under each brand. Below is the difference between hardwood and laminate flooring.
People make choices based on price, installation method, installation location, and personal preferences. This article helps you in making a decision whether you want to decorate your home by considering the advantages and disadvantages of solid wood and laminated wood.
Wood is used on various types of flooring lately. Hardwood flooring is one of the popular flooring types available today. Hardwood floors are available in various colors, shapes, and designs that help make the room looks elegant. This type of floor is a very safe natural product because it does not cause any allergies. With this type of flooring, one can create different designs and floor patterns. Hardwood flooring is made with one layer of wood. Hardwood floors are used for bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens and dining rooms, etc.
- Durability – hardwood can last 50 years or more.
- Hardwood resists spills well.
- Hardwood is the only floor covering that increases the value of your rooms.
- There is a certain richness to the appearance of the hardwood.
- Hardwood can be sanded and refinished many times, restoring it to a like new appearance.
- The installation is time-consuming.
- Solid hardwood is not recommended for basements or high moisture areas.
- The price of hardwood flooring is more expensive than the laminate floor.
- Hardwood flooring is prone to scratches compared to laminate flooring.
Laminate flooring is another type of flooring methods which can provide a great look of stone or tile with a look of real hardwood that comes with a superb finish. Laminate flooring is a great alternative for hardwood flooring. Laminated flooring is not flooring made of real wood. These floors are resistant to sunlight to a great extent. Laminated flooring is installed in homes, offices, and shops as well.
- Laminate wood holds up well to ultraviolet rays, spills, and foot traffic. This is highly recommended for busy rooms.
- Installing laminate flooring is easier than hardwood flooring.
- Laminate flooring is much stronger because different layers are involved in its use.
- These are simple to clean and maintain.
- Laminate flooring is not easily affected by scratches.
- It is saved because contains non-allergenic material.
- If laminate flooring is damaged, it cannot be sanded and refinished. It must be replaced.
- Commonly it lasts for 30 years.
- There are cost added factors for foam sub layer.
- Laminate is not recommended for bathrooms or humid areas.
Choosing a wooden floor can be confusing. Some of the factors that will affect your choices include installation preferences, price per square foot, display, age and area you will protect. Of course, back to your choice whether to apply solid wood or plastic laminate. The new wood floor will change the aura and the appearance of any room.