One type of material that can be used as a floor is wood. Wooden flooring consists of several types. But not all types of wood can be used as flooring. Wood that can be used as a floor should be strong, durable, and has a nice wood fiber. There are other factors that also become an important requirement. That is the color of wooden appearance. Wood that has a natural color will be in great demand by many people, especially for those who love the beauty of nature.
One of the woods that is quite popular and has many enthusiasts is pine wood flooring. Pinewood is a type of wood that is widely used to make furniture or floor of the house. Pinewood has several families, such as eastern white pine, western white pine, and longleaf pine. One of the advantages pinewood becomes an alternative choice that much-loved is that in damp conditions, pine wood can last up to 5 years. If the air condition is not too humid, it is not impossible the wood will last more than 5 years, but less than 20 years. Keep reading to see more about pine flooring pros and cons.
In addition to the above advantages, there are some other facts about the advantages of using pine wood as a floor.
PINE FLOORING PROS
- It has beautiful and elegant wood fibers, so as to bring up the artistic value of a room. Pinewood fiber tends to be soft and its pores are very small. This helps at the speed of the finishing process.
- Its appearance is more natural so it gives the impression of warmth and softness.
- Pinewood flooring comes in a variety of colors, such as white to golden yellow to deep, red, rich brown, and light brown without unfinished treatment. So by just finishing it with a natural color, your floor is already glowing.
- You can be creative by adding the stain as you want to the surface of your pinewood floors.
- Mostly, pine species are greatly durable also quite resistant to termites and fungi.
- Pinewood is one of the most environmentally friendly wood species. It grows faster than hardwoods. Because of this, the forest can soon have a reserve of pine trees without waiting too long.
If there are advantages then there will be disadvantages. The pine wood floor also has shortcomings including:
PINE FLOORING CONS
- If you want to buy used pine wood, you should be careful in choosing because there are usually some nail holes.
- Pine wood cannot be installed in a space that has heavy foot traffic. In this situation, the pine floor will become easily damaged.
- Pinewood is very susceptible to dents and scratches because pine is a type of softwoods. You cannot use it as flooring without applying maintenance to its surface. It requires finishing after the installation process
- To keep its beautiful look, pine floors should be given periodic maintenance. Your pine floor should always be cleaned at least twice in a week. Providing refinished in the form of sanding, staining, and coating with polyurethane is also an obligation. You will need to do this in every 5 years.