Bicycles become one of the means of transportation is quite popular for many people because it is environmentally-friendly, does not require fuel and certainly healthy for the body. For those of you who have a hobby of cycling, you will need a room at home as a place to store your bicycle. If your house is spacious it is certainly very easy to store your bicycle. However, what if you have more than one bicycle and your bicycle storage space is limited?
There are many ideas of bicycle storage that can be an alternative for you to save your favorite bicycle. You can hang your bicycle on the walls of your house, floor to ceiling bicycle rack, on top of cabinets, etc. But do you know if only by utilizing 2 pieces of wooden board and iron hooks, you can hang your “hobby” on the wall? True, wood pieces and iron hooks can make a cool wall bicycle rack for you. Below is a creative idea to make floor to ceiling bicycle rack that you can make your own.
Materials and Tools Needed:
- Two planks of wood that have been sanded. The shape and color of the wood can be customized to your liking.
- Iron hooks
- Dynabolt (size 8mm)
- Pencil for drill point marker
- Concrete drill machine
- Small hammer
Stages of Work:
- Apply the bicycle’s special hanger on one end of the wood.
- Mark the point on the wall to be drilled using a pencil.
- Drill the marked wall according to the hole on the wooden board. Make sure the drill depth has entered the size of the dynabolt.
- Attach the dynabolt to the borehole on the wooden board then hit the dynabolt slowly using the hammer to get it into the hole until the nut head.
- Tighten the nut of the dynabolt.
- Take your favorite bicycle and test it to see whether the wooden hanger can hold the weight of the bicycle while measuring where the second wooden peg will be placed to hang the rear tire of the bicycle.
- Finally, install the second piece of the wooden board to put the rear tire. Do the same to attach the wood board.
- Your bicycle is ready to hang on the wall.
Hanging a bicycle vertically certainly has an advantage in saving your space. However, there are also disadvantage effects of storing the bicycle in this way if hanged for a long time. Storing bicycle with vertical hanging is very common, especially in famous bicycle stores though. But if you hang your bicycle that way for a long time, then the oil in the shock breaker can leak out. Or if you find spilled oil all over the stanchion, this could be a sign that you will be forced to replace your bicycle overhaul over early. This also applies to hydraulic brakes – hanging upside down bicycles and you might find brake fluid all over the floor. When you save your bicycle by hanging vertically, it would be better if not for a long time. It is advisable to put carpet or coating on the bottom of the bicycle storage location.