One of the things to consider when you are going to build a house is the flooring. The floors are very influential on the beauty of a room and also greatly affect the comfort of residents. Therefore, you should really take into account the appropriate use of floor coverings. Of the many types of floor coverings available, there are two types of flooring that can be used as a consideration. They are bamboo and vinyl flooring. But which of them is the best? Here we have made a review about bamboo flooring vs vinyl and its advantages and disadvantages respectively.
Now many homeowners are starting to use bamboo as their home floor coverings. Bamboo has a distinctive and exotic look that can be an alternative to the use of solid hardwood flooring. The process of making bamboo flooring is to split the bamboo rod into small parts and then processed with a special machine to remove the cellulose content. Furthermore, the pieces of bamboo are arranged and pressed so that they will become bamboo floor ready to install. There are three types of bamboo flooring based on the process: artificial, natural, and mold. Each comes from a different process. Of course, the process also produces different shapes, structures, and advantages in each type.
- Artificial Bamboo Flooring: This type of bamboo floor is made of various materials. If sorted from the top layer, then the arrangement is acrylic polyurethane (color coating and lifeguard), bamboo layer, fir, plywood, and poplar. All layers are glued together with special glue, except polish. This type of floor looks very similar to bamboo, but in fact, only the upper part is derived from bamboo.
- Natural bamboo flooring is made of bamboo molded and pressed until solid sheets are formed. This floor produces the natural features of the bamboo surface so that it really produces an oriental and unique impression. The initial process of making is a skin-shelled bamboo, thinly sliced and then heated in a solution of boric acid water to kill bacteria and microorganisms. Only then, each slice is glued with special glue which is then heated and pressed to produce a solid bamboo sheet.
- Bamboo floor printed processed from bamboo stems boiled with boric acid to become a kind of wood pulp. This material is then mixed with adhesive and molded into a floor shape. The resulting display is like a bamboo floor.
- It has a distinctive, unique, and beautiful look.
- It has a high enough resistance to water and scratches.
- It is easy to install and easy to maintain.
- The price is more expensive than vinyl flooring.
- For natural bamboo flooring, over time the floor will experience bending because it does not undergo the process of adding coatings. But, the natural bamboo floor is more easily sanded and re-polished in order to maintain the appearance.
- For the type of artificial bamboo flooring and the mold contains more harmful chemicals in the glue. It is feared this type of bamboo floor contains many VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) which is very dangerous for health.
Meanwhile, vinyl flooring is widely used as an alternative to floor coverings because the price is cheaper and termite resistant than bamboo flooring. Vinyl flooring is available in two variants namely vinyl tile and vinyl sheet/linoleum. Vinyl floor is very practical to change the look of the room. Vinyl can easily be glued on the tile floor using adhesive.
- If you are bored with the look, you simply take it off and replace it with a new motif.
- The installation process is so easy that you can do it yourself without using a hammer and nails.
- The vinyl floor is not resistant to scratches and friction.
- Vinyl floors are made from a mixture of PVC chemicals that can harm your family’s health.
- Vinyl flooring is a floor covering that has absolutely no natural material for its manufacture.