Currently, the wood is getting scarce and the cultivation process up to harvest takes over 10 years so it costs a lot to get. One alternative that can be done is to use furniture or floors are made from composite bamboo. Composite bamboo turned out to be used as raw material for environmentally friendly furniture. Although not many people know, it turns out that composite bamboo has the same strength with teak or steel.
Bamboo has now been processed into a variety of products. Many people are interested in using bamboo materials to replace hardwood. Bamboo has unique and distinctive characteristics so it gives a beautiful touch to a room. We recognize this material as the basic material of furniture manufacture, building construction, wall panel to the floor. Of the various processed products of bamboo, in fact, we can distinguish them into two types. The first is a bamboo product made from natural bamboo shaped tube material. We can use it as a room divider. While the second is a bamboo product that is processed into a board. This bamboo board can be used for flooring. Then, how can a tubular bamboo processed into a board used to make furniture to the floor? Check out our explanation below about “bamboo flooring how is it made.”
Steps to Make a Board of Composite Bamboo:
- Choose bamboo that is 4-6 years old.
- Cut bamboo with length 2.4 m then split the bamboo into 2 parts.
- Insert the bamboo into the crusher machine to produce a flat-shaped flake. Repeat this step up to 3 or 4 times for a smooth crack.
- Enter it into the glue spreader. There are 2 kinds of glue you can use urea formaldehyde to make interior materials, while phenol formaldehyde to make the exterior material.
- Dry the board from the bamboo until its moisture content decreases, its maximum water content is 5%. If its water content exceeds that, the glue will be difficult to be distributed and it takes longer to reach the hot forging stage. That’s why you must be careful at this drying stage.
- Arrange the board with the direction of crossed fibers to increase its strength.
- If the first board fibers are longitudinal, then the fibers on the second board must be transverse and vice versa.
- Press the board with hot forge you have provided before, with pressure 25 kg/cm2 and with the heat of 1300 Celsius for interior materials, while for exterior materials using the heat of 1500
- Puree the edges of the board using sandpaper.
- Board of bamboo material is ready for use.