The floor is the basic part of a room that has an important role to strengthen the existence of the object. Many types of flooring are available which can add to the aesthetics of a room. One of them is tile flooring. This flooring is made of clay that is burned with high temperature. There are also tiles made of natural stone. Now many homeowners use tiles as floor coverings of their homes. Its presence is able to give a particular feel to a room. Here are some factors about tile flooring advantages and disadvantages that can be used as a reference.
Tile Flooring Advantages:
- Tile flooring is resistant to water and humidity so this allows you to install tiles as bathroom and shower floors. Water will not change the nature and appearance of the tile.
- This flooring is also resistant to stains. Glaze layer cover on the surface is able to resist fat and dirt. Glaze also protects the tiles from the effects of chemicals.
- It is easy to clean the dirt on the surface. You simply wipe the surface with a damp cloth without any chemical mixture.
- This is durable. If you do the treatment properly, then you will have tile flooring for a very long time.
Tile Flooring Disadvantages:
- This flooring is not elastic. Tiles may not be placed on a floor that has an arch because it is rigid.
- The installation requires expert craftsman. Installing tiles on the floor is more difficult, takes time, and requires special skills.
- Tiles cannot be installed on uneven floors, cracks, or have holes.
There are 3 types of tiles available: natural stone tiles, ceramic tiles, and porcelain tiles.
- Natural stone tiles are obtained from pieces of natural stone, such as marble or granite. This offers a different look but beautiful and luxurious simultaneously. This type of floor is very hard and strong. However, natural stone tiles have disadvantages, such as it has a very expensive price and has a pore that is more tenuous than other tiles.
- Ceramic tiles are the oldest known flooring material. It has been produced in the same way for centuries with a mixture of fine white clay and natural materials burned at high temperatures which are then molded. After that, the molds are dried to reduce water content. In order for the tile to be shiny, the surface is coated with a colored glaze made of glass derivatives called frit. The glaze will permanently be able to form a strong finished product with a waterproof surface. This flooring does not pollute the environment, is non-toxic, and does not cause allergies. The combustion process can destroy allergens that make the tile material safe for allergy sufferers. The combustion process at high temperatures also leads to the fact that on the smooth surface of the ceramic tiles can prevent the buildup of bacteria and fungi. Therefore, ceramic tiles are often used for laboratory walls and medical facilities.
- Porcelain tiles are a form of ceramic tiles made from a mixture of clay and minerals which are then formed under very high pressure and heated at higher temperatures than standard ceramics. The result is a product that is stronger and more durable than standard ceramics and is very resistant to moisture and also stains. Porcelain has several advantages over other types of tiles, as it is available in various styles and is a natural stone replication, it is not porous, it is not slippery, and the price offered is more affordable than natural stone.